Monday, March 23, 2009

Caretakers Profession

I have to write this so I don't forget these incredible people who have helped us on this scary journey.
* Dolly ~ from India, not Nashville ~ was the first nurse who helped us so much at night, and brought me the three free meal cards abd extra blankets.
* Jen brought Parker the massive recliner on the night he raised and lowered his bed 40 times in 4 hours (yes, I counted.....) because he couldn't get comfortable, even with the IV morphine every 15 minutes. We are positive she was a cheerleader in high school, and was voted Most Cheerful by us.
* Jason was the high energy gay nurse who I wanted to bring back to the florist to work. He taught Parker about things like breathing exercises for pain management, and made me laugh with his "wacky-dacky" comments. I liked him the best.
* Billy was the night nurse who had just started and we were his first patients EVER. He also got us on the Hallucination Night. He was a real champion in the way he handled Parker, and me, during that really horrifying night. I am the most grateful for him. Another nurse would have shot Parker up with something rather than spending 20 minutes talking to him while he sat on the toilet ranting and raving in the bathroom during his hallucinations.
* Emily was the nurse who yelled at Parker for walking without permission, but she ended up being a real dynamo and was the nurse the day Parker turned the corner to wellness.
* James is our nurse on this last day who brought us the best news. He also went far beyond the call of duty to see to it Parker was comfortable, and when we wanted something he made it happen.
* Just when we thought we had gotten the best nurses on the planet, Gwen came along. She was fabulous. Always asking extra questions and giving new and helpful information. She called the doctor three times to ask him questions for us. There was so much more, it is a bit of a blur. But she was awesome.
* Our favorite techs were Paul and Brooke. They should get married and have beautiful babies.

All these people did an amazing job. we had more nurses, but these are the ones who stand out as exceptional. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

Very few bad nurses, but here they are:
* Leonard was useless to us. He forgot to tell us Parker wasn't going for the ultra sound and left him without ice chips for an additional 4 hours because he forgot. No problem, Parker had projectile vomiting that night to punish him. He had to clean the walls of the room. Ha!
* Brian was the male nurse who wouldn't bother calling the telly people for an accurate heart rate and said to write down 74, even after I told him Parker's heart rate hadn't been below 115 at that point. I told the Charge Nurse we didn't want him back.
* Bob was Parker's nurse the first day I got here. He isn't ethical. He told the CT people Parker's weight was one thing when it turned out he hadn't even weighed him. They could have given Parker the wrong dose of iodine as a result. He also offered to steal an extra large arm BP cuff for us. He also didn't come around as often as he was supposed to and when I went to him for help (like for pain meds about day ten) he never showed up. I'm reporting him after we are gone.

1 comment:

  1. The difference between the good and the bad is amazing. Some people are called into this role and I think others thought they'd have job security. Compassion is number one. I'm glad you and Parker have had more of the good ones than the others!

    ReplyDelete