Friday, March 27, 2009

If It Weren't For The Climate

How is it that a little city in TX, the state I have spent so many years hating, can sway me so? Well, for one thing, the fact that my oldest son lives here gives it a head start. And I did live here early in my marriage, for three very heady, drunken years. Years when I thought I knew so much, but really, I was so naive it startles me to think about it now.

But other than those emotional ties, there is something about this city after all. Let's start with the medical care. How is it that what appear to be the best, most compassionate and thorough nurses come here to work? And the doctors ~ why can't all doctors be like the one we met today? He came in and had already read Parker's info, he sat down and told us what he knew about his case and asked Parker and I to fill him in on anything he had missed. At the end of the visit, BEFORE he stood up, he asked if we had any other questions or concerns, and assured us he would be calling tomorrow with the results from his blood work. He was thorough in his explanations, listened to what we said and answered everything almost with bullet points in his speech. Just what Mamma-Bear needed today.

Austin is a music city, built along a river that is called a lake. I never understood that part. Isn't a lake a lake and a river a river? Doesn't a lake have boundaries on all sides? Whatever. Probably some stoner decided it was a lake and it stuck. Doesn't really matter. In fact it sort of helps define Austin, a city that likes its reputation for being weird. There are billboards for a radio station that say, "Keep Austin Weird!"

There are more homeless people here than anywhere I've been. The ambulance driver told me people come from all over to be homeless here because there are too many soup kitchens. That ambulance driver was a Republican who "understands about killing people, but doesn't get murder." Huh? Hard ass. I told him I was a pacifist Quaker and he was tongue tied. Ha!

But here's the thing about the homeless people here. It is their way of making a living. They have no shame, no drive to make their lives better. They are homeless. That's what they do. Today I passed a homeless guy at Ben White Blvd. and S. First, at the corner where I used to work, and his sign said, "Let's be honest: I want beer!" Like I said, no shame.

Austin looks a little bit like Mexico. I didn't remember that about it. I remembered it being horribly ugly and dirty. Maybe because I am older and wiser and not quite so judgmental, maybe it is more interesting now rather than ugly. There are palm trees everywhere. I guess they are palm trees, I'm not really sure.

I didn't get to go downtown, to Pecan Street (aka: 6th St) but I have to admit the Austin skyline is quite pretty for a city. And the people are nice. Nice like they are in Georgia where you feel like strangers really do LIKE you even though they don't know you. They let you go first at a light and wave when you pass. Go figure.

Parker's apartment complex is really awesome, and so cheap! One of his friends was telling me how expensive it is to live here now. Parker lives in a four bedroom apartment, he has one large bedroom and his own private, HUGE bathroom, a shared living room, kitchen, dining room and patio that looks out to the woods (which I know are probably filled with snakes). There are beautiful swimming pools, and an immaculate, fully equipped gym. For Parker's part, including all utilities and DAILY trash pick up right outside his door, he pays $470 per month. And they think that's expensive?

If it weren't for the climate, I might be able to live here. But that heat and humidity that settles over the city like a curtain drawing closed on a stage, that will keep me away. Other than that, you're okay, Austin. Little city wearing bog boy pants. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment